Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Homemade Lip Balm

Now I have been obsessed with the idea of making my own natural products for a while now.  My little pinterest board has been growing will several home made concoctions. 

Now, I love lip balm. I'm not a huge lipstick wearer but I always have some type of moisturizing lip balm on me. I mean, there is nothing worse than chapped peeling lips, especially in the winter.
This was supposed to be a Christmas gift, but the containers that I wanted to order would not be back before Christmas.  I also couldn't find any other containers anywhere.   So I did make this sample one for myself.   It's easy and really doesn't take that long at all.





 
This recipe makes a softer oiler lip balm.
 
Here's what you'll need:
 
4 tsp. coconut oil
3 tsp. sweet almond oil
2 tsp. grated beeswax
a few drops of essential oil (optional - I used Lavender)

Grated beeswax


 Put everything into a small bowl and melt. If you don't have a double boiler, like me, sit the bowl in a pot of boiling water to melt. This is what it looks like when it's all melted.



 
I found a small plastic container to pour it into to cool.  You'll have to find something to do or eat while you wait for it to set.  This is what it looks like after an hour.  Because I made this late at night, I just let it sit for a few hours.  3 total.



Of course, I stuck my finger in to test it.  Just ruined it. lol






The longer you let it sit, the more it sets. I left it over night just to see.
 


Without lip balm





With lip balm.
When you put it on, it is like an oil. It looks like a light lip gloss. I use it throughout the day and will definitely be making more. I think I'm going to play around with the ingredients too, just to see what I can come up with.

2 comments:

  1. What a terrific idea! I especially love all the natural ingredients in this recipe. I've bought natural beauty products but never tried to make them myself.

    I found your blog from a link at the Mommy Bloggers group in Circle of Moms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've really been enjoying trying to make my own products and there's also that sense of accomplishment if it actually turns out okay. lol. I'm glad you like it and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete