Saturday, November 2, 2013

A Spooktacular Halloween!


The kids had a great Halloween.  We've been doing a lot of fun activities throughout the last week or two.  They have completely been sugared up and worn out and so have I. 

Beforehand, we went to the Christian bookstore to find our regular pumpkin prayer bracelets and bookmarks, but they no longer had them.  However, while we were there, I found this book.  In between the ghosts, boogers and blood, we always try to incorporate Jesus in Halloween.

 
I let Aj read it to the kids.
 
"Yes, Halloween is jack-o-lanterns, costumes, and candy on a dark and spooky night...But Jesus is the light of the world.
Jesus said to the people, "I am the light of the world.  If you follow me, you won't be stumbling through the darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life."  John 8:12


 
I decided to dress Caleb up as a construction worker which he wore to story time at the library.  After a few minutes, though, he was ready to take it off.  I can't get him to keep anything on.
 

Then after school, AJ came home with an invitation to join the National Beta Club.  I was so proud of him!  The club recognizes "outstanding qualities of academic achievement, character, leadership and service."  What a great Halloween surprise! 
 


 
We went to the local park for trick or treat night and, of course, Miss Caitlyn was so excited she left her bag at home.  We had to find plastic in the car.  I had accidentally left her tights for the cat costume at the church this past Sunday with the rest of the praise dance clothes and didn't realize it.  So she decided she would be a princess.
 
Well, remember Aj wanted to be a skeleton for Halloween.  The Adobe Reader just refused to work on the computer to print out the skeleton bones for AJ's costume so we started looking to buy one.  Even at 50% off, they were still too much.  He wanted this Scream character costume which was half off at $17.  Still just too much for my taste.  I ended up going to the Dollar General later and finding the mask for $3 and he's wearing one of our graduation gowns with black pants underneath.  WIN! WIN!  He loved it!
 
He couldn't understand why everyone kept calling him Scream, though.  I told him when he was old enough, I'd let him watch the movie. lol. (We already have two in the bed with us at any given time.)




 
They trick o treated around the park and then played a few games.  We were trying to make sure we got home in time for Charlie Brown and pumpkin carving.  Halloween really should have been on a Friday night.

 
 
The kids cleaned out the pumpkin while watching Charlie Brown.  However, Caleb was not at all about that mushy stuff and he didn't last long.  Cate and AJ, on the other hand, had a blast making a mess.
 
We took a break to eat.


 
Fruit parfaits made with pineapples, mandarin oranges and topped with whip cream.  I wasn't sure how that whipped cream would taste on top, but it was great!
 


 
 
We made some mummy dogs and I called these apples and caramel booger fingers.  Gross!  The kids loved it.


 
 
Now if I hadn't have waited until the last minute to buy pumpkins, we would have had about 4. And got really creative with our pumpkin carving.   However, I did and I think there was some pumpkin gauging going on.  lol.  We bought one giant pumpkin and did the pumpkin prayer.
 


 
 
The kids drew the parts on the pumpkin first before I butchered it.


 
 
Next time, I need to get a saw to carve this thing or lift more weights.  It was tough, but the kids had a great time.
 
How was your Halloween?


No comments:

Post a Comment