Monday, September 2, 2013

Grocery Trip And A Frugal September

I've been working very hard the last couple of months to chop our expenses, especially coming up to the holidays.
Last week's grocery trip only cost me $50. Yep. That's right. 50 bucks! I had a lot left from the previous week that would carry on over. I was so excited! This week's budget was more because we were down to the nitty gritty and needed to replenish everything. This week' s trip cost me $108.00. That includes some not pictured items that I sent the hubs to the store to pick up yesterday - cereal, milk, eggs. I still may go up to 130 because there were some things the store had sold out of that I wanted.



This is everything I got. As I was pulling everything out, I was like- that doesn't look like anything. Lol. Where's the rest of it? I did get lucky because the store had just marked down some of the meat. I got 2 packs of chicken thighs for $3.00 off each pack. The brats sausage was BOGO and then each pack had an additional $1.50 off sticker. The ground turkey was also BOGO. Almost everything was bought at sale price. I didn't use any coupons but I have vowed to get back on it. I bought a paper on Sunday.

The meat included:
2 family pks of chicken thighs
1 pk. Drumsticks
2 pks ground turkey
4lb. Pk ground beef
Family pk. Hotdogs
Diced ham and turkey
Sliced turkey
Bag chicken nuggets

I'm estimating that these groceries are going to last about two weeks. I can get at a minimum of 2 meals each out of the packs of chicken. The ground beef and turkey will be used to make hamburgers, spaghetti, tacos and chili. The potatoes are going to be turned into French fries, mashed potatoes, roasted garlic potatoes, and cheesy skillet potatoes with sausage and onions and whatever else I can think of.

I've tried to declare September a frugal challenge month. I consider myself quite the penny pincher; However my husband has told me I'm so cheap, I make him feel poor. Lol. I try to remind him of the term "golddigger" and how he is blessed.
The wise woman builds her house but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down.
Proverbs 14:1

I even wanted to cut the satellite off, but the hubs wasn't sure about that one. It's football season. We've only had satellite for about a year and a half. Once I decided to stay home with Caleb, I figured I might need to unwind with lifetime at the end of the day. Prior to that, we haven't had satellite or cable for the past 8 years. We were never really home to watch tv that much anyway.

I've even considered doing away with the internet ( I still don't have the computer fixed) but the hubs needs it for work. I was just stalling because I had the phone but the hubs says he'll be taking it with him starting next week. So I need to get on it.

I've been doing some frugal cleaning: bleach and water, vinegar and water, baking soda, etc. and am sticking to it. Although I did overhear a nurse mentioning that they' ve stopped using bleach to clean and only use vinegar. I'm not real sure about that one. I like to " smell the clean", meaning we usually need to evacuate the house.

I have started trying the foil in the dryer to reduce static and was actually suprised that it worked. I have pinned some frugal ideas and have saved some from facebook that I might try to implement throughout the month and beyond.
What frugal things do you do?

4 comments:

  1. Making great progress! I try to buy food in bulk when I can. I've started buying cheese, shredded and block style, and freezing them so they don't go to waste. I buy more than one milk and freeze what I'm not using. Really the freezer has been my friend when it comes to saving money. I'm still working on other ways to be frugal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I also love the freezer. I've never frozen milk before. Does it still taste the same?

      Delete
  2. After it thaws out in the refrigerator i just shake it up and it taste just as good to me! I freeze 2% milk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to try especially on those rare occasions when milk is on sale for like 1.99.

    ReplyDelete