Thursday, July 6, 2017

We Still Enjoy The Fourth of July


It is for freedom that Christ has set us free.  Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.  Galations 5:1



When I was in school, I had never heard of Juneteenth.  I had always learned the Declaration of Independence which almost advertised "a happily ever after" notion.  I was not aware such a thing as Juneteenth even existed.  It wasn't until adulthood that I gained knowledge of most African American history via social media outlets and various Facebook pages dedicated to the study of African American history.


Juneteenth, June 19, 1865, marks the end of slavery in America.  The last slaves were freed in Texas meaning that is was almost 100 years after the signing of the Declaration of Independence in 1776 stating all men are created equal.  That is clearly worthy of celebrating! Being that African Americans were not free on the actual "Independence Day," some choose not to celebrate it and that's okay.

 

Dragging late as usual, we finally made it out of our door to have a picnic at the park and enjoy the fireworks show together.  We celebrated family, life, and let's not forget food. We enjoyed our time together.  Shoot, my husband wasn't working. That's a celebration all in itself. 
We know our history and are still learning it.  We are woke.  We still enjoyed ourselves.





However, what I don't get is when others complain about the folks not celebrating (and vice versa).  I mean I totally get that too.  It's like you've been told a lie all your life or kept out of this secret that directly affects you. Now you have finally learned the truth, and it's upsetting.  Think of people in your life that have lied to you or kept something from you that directly affects you.

One thing about us as a people though, we looooove to tell people to get some knowledge and educate themselves.  It's like our favorite thing to do.
So being disrespectful and mad at someone for attaining understanding and knowledge of one's self and one's history is kind of ridiculous.

Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as a cover up for evil; live as God's slaves.  Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor. 1 Peter 2:16



Whether you celebrate or not, that's up to you.  I can think of plenty of things to celebrate, one being the freedom of gaining knowledge.  I can celebrate all the things that God has freed us from.  I can celebrate the wonderful family that He's blessed us with ( even if those tinier ones are running me ragged).  I can celebrate life and I can do that all day, every day.  If one of those days is Independence day, then so be it. 



God (Please) Bless America.


2 Corinthians 3:17
Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment