Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Homemade Christmas - DIY Whipped Body Butter

I feel like I have abandoned my little blog and all my blog reads for the last week or so.  So much has been going on, but I am finally back and finally updating yall on the homemade Christmas gifts.


Well I could barely contain myself when my order finally arrived in the mail.  It didn't come all together but rather three packages at two different times.  Body butter is one of the items that I have on my homemade Christmas to make list.  I thought it would make a perfect gift and of course, I just wanted some for myself. 

 
So all together, I ordered Organic raw shea butter, raw cocoa butter, almond oil, and lavender essential oil.  I initially ordered lip balm containers but they wouldn't arrive before Christmas.  I'm still going to make that though.  Everything was ordered through Amazon.
 
So here is what I used to make my body butter:
 
1/2 cup shea butter
1/2 cup cocoa butter
1/2 cup organic unrefined coconut oil
1/4 cup almond oil
1/4 cup of vitamin e oil
measuring cups
ziplock bag
cup
spoon
double boiler/ glass bowl/ pot of boiling water to melt butters
jars to put finished product in
 
* This recipe makes enough to fill one 16oz jar.
 
 

 
1/2 cup Cocoa butter - This cocoa butter is very hard, but it smells delicious like chocolate. 


 
1/2 cup Shea butter - The shea butter is kind of creamy and not as hard as the cocoa butter.  I had some on my hands and rubbed it in and I was like, "Yeah, this the stuff right here." LOL
 
 
 
I melted the butters down.  I don't have a double boiler so I used a bowl and container over a pot of water. After it melted down some, I let it sit for a few minutes to cool and then placed it in the freezer for about 10 minutes.  You want it to harden some but still be sort of soft when you touch it. Make sure you check it because it may freeze fast.  Then put it in a large bowl for mixing.


 
 
1/2 cup Coconut oil - Mix it up some before you add it to the butters so it won't be so hard.  Mix the oil and butters together using a hand mixer. Add your almond oil and vitamin E oil.  I decided to use Vitamin E oil at the last minute.
 
Once it's mixed sit in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes so it can harden a bit just like before. 
 
 
 
It's a little solid but you can still poke your finger in and it's soft in the middle.

 
Next, take a spoon and chop it up and then mix with your hand mixer until it starts looking whipped and smooth.  This can take a little while.


 
Whipped butter


 
I placed a ziplock bag in a cup and scooped the butter in.  I tried to make it look all professional when I added it to my jar.




 
Failed.  LOL.  This one is mine though.  I'll do a better job with the other jars, hopefully.
 
 
 




This stuff smell delicious. I didn't add any essential oils to it just because I like the smell.   I have been using it for a few days now and I love it.  I even shaved my legs to put this on. 
 
The hubby is even slathering this on, too and he's  picky about his lotions and stuff.
 
It looks a bit shiny when you first apply it but you don't look so shiny after a few minutes.  You have a nice little gleam though.
 


Tips -
 
 I bought a pound of each butter because I knew I would be making some for gifts and likely other projects.  Unless you're making gifts or plan on using it for a while, you won't need this much.  However, to minimize the cost of this project, try to find a friend or two that wants to make some butter and split the cost.  The cost of the shea butter, cocoa butter and almond oil was $40.21. 
 
This would also be a cute idea to do a for a girls nigh/spa night/ etc.
 
Don't forget the cost of containers.  The jars were 5.99 for 4 16oz. jars.  I bought them at Kmart.  You could also buy the ones half this size.  That way you would have made 2 jars of butter instead of one. 
 
You don't have to use both butters to make the body butter.  You pretty much add what you like, like I did.
 
Warm a spoon with hot water to make it easier to scoop out the coconut oil.
 
Be very careful if you put this on like right after the shower.  The oils in it make it super slippery.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment